At St Mary’s Primary School, we are committed to providing pupils with an education that is rich in opportunities and experiences and influences a lifelong love of learning.
Our curriculum forms the basis for our learning and the experiences the pupils enjoy during their time at St Mary’s. It comprises the new National Curriculum 2014 and a rich and varied wider curriculum which offers additional creative, cultural, sporting and intellectual opportunities for our pupils.
We believe that our curriculum should be broad, balanced, creative and relevant in meeting the needs and learning styles of every individual pupil. It is planned in a way which integrates, wherever possible subjects across themes and offers pupils a range of exciting learning experiences that challenge, stimulate and promote thinking alongside learning. We ensure that learning at St Mary’s broadens the aspirations, Christian and British values and opportunities for every pupil as they grow and develop.
Our curriculum is constantly evolving to ensure that we are responding to a rapidly developing world and that we offer our pupils the best start to their lives as successful citizens in Britain the 21st Century.
Through the provision of rich and varied activities our curriculum aims to:
- Encourage the best possible progress and the highest attainment for all pupils.
- Enable pupils to make connections across different areas of learning.
- Help pupils to think creatively and solve problems.
- Develop pupils’ capacity to learn and work independently and collaboratively.
- Enable pupils to respond positively to opportunities, challenges and responsibilities.
- Enable pupils to acquire and develop a broad range of knowledge, skills and understanding.
- Promote a sense of self worth and instil a sense of pride in each learner.
- Incorporate opportunities for using and developing different learning styles and multiple.
- Intelligences so that all pupils can access the curriculum at a suitably challenging level.
- Instil a sense of pride in our learners.
- Develop the personal, social, moral, cultural and spiritual understanding of each child.
- Develop pupils understanding and appreciation of British culture and values and the world around them.
- Prepare pupils for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences beyond St Mary’s Primary School.
- Develop pupils physical and emotional well being.
Our curriculum is planned effectively, providing continuity and progression. It promotes an enjoyment of learning and a commitment to learning and achieving.